This weekend I had the opportunity to tackle a couple of mini projects that have been on the back burner for a few months. The first was relatively easy. My daughter had some fun with a sharpie about six months ago and I did my best to clean that up at the time with windex (yes the blue stuff instead of the clear). I finally touched up the blue smeared walls. That went OK, but for future reference I have a couple of paint brushes and paint stirrers next to the can of interior paint.
The second project was a little tougher. The caulk in the master bathroom and kitchen has been getting really ragged. We don’t splash so much that it is a wall integrity issue, but cosmetically I was not happy. This project was a little more expensive. I started with a tube of caulk ($8) and a scraper set ($5). This was going OK, but the caulk gun I had at home was killing my hands. I went back out and bought a “heavy duty” caulk gun ($14) which was incredible compared to what I was using. After having the right materials the job progressed reasonably well. The finish is not handy man or professional quality, but the end result is not unsightly. I did not take the time to seal the caulk tube well, so I may be on the hook again the next time I need to caulk. Most websites suggest using a nail or duct tape to seal the tube, but even then it won’t last forever.
Next up on my list is stain touch up. I would like to start on that this spring when I can open the windows and ventilate the house. My goal is to maintain our home in a "ready to sell" condition rather than living with nuisance projects, poor lighting and clutter.