- The Jericho Mile (1979) - ?
- Chariots of Fire (1981) - seen
- Personal Best (1982) – seen
- Running Brave (1983) – seen
- On The Edge (1986) - seen
- Forrest Gump (1984) - seen
- Run Lola Run (1998) - ?
- Without Limits (1998) – seen
- Saint Ralph (2004) – seen
- Spirit of the Marathon (2007) - ?
- Run For Your Life (2008) - ?
- The Long Green Line (2008) – seen
Runner’s World recently put out a list of 12 motivating running movies. Most of them I had seen or heard of, but a couple caught my eye including “The Jericho Mile” and “On The Edge.” I am guilty of enjoying 1980’s movies. I don’t need great cinematography or a well thought out story line. I do need the right blend of gritty and cheesy. I could watch American Flyers again in its entirety nearly anytime.
On The Edge is the story of a 44 year old runner who was banned from the Amateur Athletic Union for receiving compensation from race directors 20 years earlier. His racing career cut short, he decides to take a year off of coaching to race in the Cielo Sea. This is a handicapped race based loosely on the Dipsea.
It is actually cast with some well known runners of the time and the lead actor races ultras. I enjoyed the film and agree that it is motivating. You also appreciate the efforts of runners that came before you to allow runners to have a modest lifestyle through official sponsorship agreements.